Class Caps define the maximum number of students enrolled in a classroom. They are provincially mandated.
A Soft Cap is defined as the stated cap number. A Hard Cap is defined as the stated cap number plus 2. The Class Caps (by grade levels) are as follows:
- Grades Primary to 2 – soft cap of 20, hard cap of 22
- Grades 3 to 6 - soft cap of 25, hard cap of 27
- Grades 7 to 9 - soft cap of 28, hard cap of 30
- Grades 10 to 12 - soft cap of 30, hard cap of 32
A Class Cap may be exceeded because of school capacity or exceptional circumstances. Information on Class Caps in the Chignecto Central Region for September 30, 2018 is as follows:
- There are 234 classes from Grade Primary to Grade 2: 1.3% (3 Classes) are over Cap
- There are 241 classes from Grade 3 to Grade 6: 1.2% (3 Classes) are over Cap
- There are no classes over cap from Grade 7 to 12 in CCRCE
For a more detailed breakdown of Class Caps by school please refer to the document above (or click here).
Document or Form File: