Bricks 4 Kidz
On May 6th, Nicole Hebb, facilitator for Bricks 4 Kidz, provided Kennetcook District Elementary Students from Primary to 6 with the opportunity to become engineers using LEGO. Pairs of students were given a LEGO kit and instructions to build an item related to the overall topic. Each construction the students worked on was designed by engineers, and each kit can create 2000 different builds.
Students in Ms. Thomson's 3/4 class made a whirl pool simulator after learning about extreme weather. When the builds were done, the motors were connected to a battery and the whirl pool was activated. Students were excited to see the success of their build when the gears started turning. It was a wonderful learning experience for all!
The goals of the Bricks 4 Kidze program are to:
- Introduce engineering and architecture principles
- Explore math and science concepts
- Increase general knowledge through discussions related to each model
- Develop social/emotional skills such as patience, teamwork and communication in the process of completing a project
- Enhance self-esteem by solving problems and completing projects
- Improve fine-motor skills as children manipulate small components
- Utilize multiple learning modalities to engage visual, kinesthetic and auditory learning styles
- Teach important classroom skills such as organization and following directions
- Foster an appreciation for how things work