MakerTech 2018 Innovation, Collaboration, and Creation
On Friday, April 27th, grade eight students across CCRCE and our local Ecole acadienne de Truro came together to problem-solve and experience challenge-based learning at the Holiday Inn, Truro. Throughout the day, students participated in different challenges under the theme of ‘Building a Sustainable Nova Scotia’. All activities support and are linked to the students’ science curriculum.
This year, CCRCE has partnered with Engineers Nova Scotia to add a career exploration component to the day.
The day's activities included
- Water Insulator Challenge- Sustainable energy is all about conserving it.
- Water for the World- A challenge in partnership with Engineers Nova Scotia
- Interactive Cell Challenge- Crete an interactive cell using the Makey Makey
- Reusable Bag Challenge- Design a prototype of a reusable bag that you could carry and fold down into a tiny space
- Human Power Challenge- Making energy with a bike
- Sphero Coding Challenge- Create a maze and code the robot ball to make it through
- Sparkfun Coding Challenge- If Nova Scotia was flooded, we'd need a coded message. Students wired the project and edited the code
- Traffic Light Mechatronics- Students programmed traffic lights in the event of an emergency
The day also included VR goggles, 3d Printing with Brilliant Labs, a water run-off challenge with the Ditch Doctor on-site, soapmaking, button making, and computerized stitching. Needless to say, there was something for everyone that attended.