Winter Weather Is Here!
When winter weather is predicted, CCRSB staff consult with multiple weather forecasts and forecasters, and check on road conditions throughout the school board region via the RCMP and the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation, as well as our own staff members on the ground in each area, to help make the call to cancel school or for early dismissal.
Decisions regarding school cancellations, or early dismissals, are made by CCRSB’s Operational Services Department and happen in the early morning (before 6:30 am). It is important that our schools have the most up-to-date contact information for parents and guardians, and that parents and guardians have alternative arrangements in place for their children, before a cancellation or early dismissal takes place.
A full day cancellation or an early dismissal, due to weather conditions, will be announced in several ways:
- The “All Schools Open” button on the CCRSB home page changes to red for a full cancellation or orange for early dismissal. By clicking on the button, you can get closure information specific to your Family of Schools.
- A message regarding the cancellation or early dismissal is posted to the CCRSB home page under “News”, to the CCRSB Facebook page and to our Twitter feed.
- Information is sent to all local newspapers, radio and television stations within CCRSB, including CBC radio in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island and CFCY radio in Charlottetown.
If the decision is to dismiss early, here is how it works:
Early dismissal will be one or two hours before the usual school day end. For example, on a day when a one-hour early dismissal is announced in the morning, a school normally dismissing at 2:30 pm would dismiss at 1:30 pm that day. Bussed students who normally arrive at their bus stop at 3:15 pm should arrive at their bus stop at 2:15 pm. The end of the day simply rolls back an hour or two depending on the early dismissal.
How will students, parents and guardians know about the early dismissal?
- The early dismissal decision will be announced on the school board website (ccrsb.ca), Twitter and Facebook by 6:30 am.
- The “All Schools OPEN” button on the CCRSB website will turn orange, and will read “Early Dismissal”. Click on the button to get information about the early dismissal decision, including where it will be happening.
- The early dismissal decision will be sent to all local media, to be carried on the radio and on news websites.
- Schools will announce the early dismissal on their own websites, and via their social media channels.
- Some schools may also choose to send an “Alert” email or text message to parents and guardians, announcing the early dismissal.
Questions about the early dismissal pilot can be directed to school principals, CCRSB Student Transportation at 902-897-5561 or CCRSB’s Operations Department at 902-897-8930.