Optional French Programs
Core French is a compulsory course for all students in Nova Scotia from Grades 4 to 9, as per the Public School Program. Students develop their French oral, reading and writing skills by participating in a variety of French literacy-based learning opportunities for approximately 10% of their instruction.
In addition to the Core French Program, CCRCE also offers the following Optional French Programs for students who wish to spend more time learning in French:
- Early Immersion - Grade Primary Entry Point (approximately 80% of learning time in French)
- Middle Immersion - Grade 4 Entry Point (Celtic Family of Schools only) (approx. 70% of learning time in French)
- Late Immersion - Grade 7 Entry Point (approximately 70% of learning time in French)
- Integrated French - Grade 7 Entry Point (approximately 25-30% of learning time in French)
Where are Optional French Programs offered?
- Early French Immersion: Truro Elementary School, Spring Street Academy, Elmsdale District School and A.G. Baillie Memorial School.
- Middle French Immersion: West Pictou Consolidated.
- Late French Immersion: Redcliff Middle School, Bible Hill Junior High (Grades 8 & 9), Cobequid Educational Centre (Grades 10-12)
- Integrated French Program: Dr. W. A. MacLeod Consolidated (Riverton), E.B. Chandler Junior High (Amherst), Springhill Junior/Senior High (Springhill), Redcliff Middle School (Bible Hill), Truro Junior High School (Truro), Central Colchester Junior High (Onslow), Riverside Education Centre (Milford), South Colchester Academy (Brookfield).
If you would like to learn more about Optional French Programs:
Programs Administrative Assistant
Stéphane Duguay (Acting)
Regional French Consultant
Cheryl Ann LeLièvre
French Math Mentor
Base School – Riverside Education Centre
Core French Literacy/Technology Integration Mentors Grades 4-12:
Base School – Hants East Rural High School
Base School – E.B. Chandler Junior HIgh School
Early Literacy French Consultant P-3 and P-6 Immersion Literacy Mentor:
Base School - Bible Hill Junior High School
Applications for Optional French Programs for the 2019-2020 School Year are now closed.
For more information on one of our Optional French Programs, please select program level in the right menu.