TRCA Nominee Spotlight: When Dimple Met Rishi
When Dimple Met Rishi, by Sandhaya Menon
“Dimple couldn’t stop smiling.” And you won’t stop either when you read this TRCA nominated title!
“Dimple couldn’t stop smiling. It was like two invisible puppeteers, standing stage left and stage right, were yanking on strings to lift up the corners of her mouth.”
The rom-com that everyone’s talking about! Eleanor & Park meets Bollywood in this hilarious and heartfelt novel about two Indian-American teens whose parents conspire to arrange their marriage.
Dimple Shah has it all figured out. With graduation behind her, she’s more than ready for a break from her family, from Mamma’s inexplicable obsession with her finding the “Ideal Indian Husband.” Ugh. Dimple knows they must respect her principles on some level, though. If they truly believed she needed a husband right now, they wouldn’t have paid for her to attend a summer program for aspiring web developers…right?
Rishi Patel is a hopeless romantic. So when his parents tell him that his future wife will be attending the same summer program as him—wherein he’ll have to woo her—he’s totally on board. Because as silly as it sounds to most people in his life, Rishi wants to be arranged, believes in the power of tradition, stability, and being a part of something much bigger than himself.
The Shahs and Patels didn’t mean to start turning the wheels on this “suggested arrangement” so early in their children’s lives, but when they noticed them both gravitate toward the same summer program, they figured, Why not?
Dimple and Rishi may think they have each other figured out. But when opposites clash, love works hard to prove itself in the most unexpected ways. ~amazon.ca
Don’t just take our word for how awesome this book is…
The Critics LOVE it too:
- Instant New York Times Bestseller!
- Instant National Indie Bestseller!
- A Top 10 Indie Next Pick!
- A Junior Library Guild Selection!
- Starred Review from Kirkus!
- Starred Review from VOYA!
- A 2017 Goodreads Choice Award Finalist!
- An Amazon Best Book of the Year!
- A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year!
- An NPR Books Best Book of the Year!
- A Target Best Book of the Year!
- An ALA BFYA (American Library Association Best Fiction for Young Adults) 2018 pick!
- An ALA Amelia Bloomer List pick for feminist YA fiction!
- An Indies Choice Award Finalist!
Need to Knows About Sandhya
Her name is pronounced SUN-dhya and it means dusk or twilight in Hindi. Sandhya is an Indian-American living in Colorado with her family and her pets.
Favourite Books, and Characters
- Team JACOB
- Loves Twilight series (books and movies)
- Dean and Castiel
- Fear Street Fan
- Curry – especially coconut-based curries
- Gryffindor according to the test
- Gryffilpuff in her heart
Don’t Forget! It’s All Up To You Now! So Read And Be Ready To Vote!
Visit our website to keep up-to-date on all the nominees and to have your say!
CCRSB Teen Reader’s Choice Award